29.9.11

The Story


I  always wanted a good story, you know some sort of epic tale. Lizzie and Mr. Darcy. Jasmine and Aladdin. Beauty and…okay, I think you can see where I am going with this already. I wanted a story because in truth, who doesn’t love a good story?

As a little girl I would lie awake wondering- (I blame Disney for the this early obsession.) As I teenager I was expectant. The older I became the more frustrated I was with the shallowness of my male peers. (Sheesh, am I self-righteous or what?)

I have always moved around a lot; friends have always been easy to come by. But time and age has taught me an important lesson: I can be a friend to anyone but those who are actually a friend back- those special few are more precious than diamonds and pearls.

It makes me laugh to think about my story – mostly because it is a short one. Not much epicness to it. He pestered me until he had my attention. And somewhere a long the way his pestering turning into acts of kindness. Looking back, I have to wonder how much of what I labeled as pestering was really just (perhaps awkwardly wrapped) kindness.

For him (so he says) it happened quickly- for me it was gradual. He was not just a friend back- he was the best kind of friend. He was (and never is) worried about what the cool thing to be doing. He is however quite concerned about what the Bible says about living. (And for a farmer the boy sure can preach.) He is thoughtful. Kind. (And not just to me.) He gives really good advice. (Which only annoys me about half the time.) And he prays. (And listens to God's answer.)

I remember the moment, when all the gradualness dominoed and I realized for quite clearly that I loved him back. Nothing epic. No fireworks. Just a quick moment of realization.

My story is not so dramatic- basically he made me be his friend (Pretty sure between him and his mom there was an awful lot of prayer going on. ) and he was such a good friend that I did not want to let him go.

So, I just didn’t. And a year from today, (when I am back in the States) we will say, I do.

Well, I did not get my own Disney epic full length featured drama but you know what?
That is okay by me.

Cause I'm pretty darn stinking happy without it.



2 comments:

  1. Full length epics are overrated. Sounds like you have a series, which lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding your best friend who want to spend the rest of your life with is epic :) Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, they make me smile.