30.12.11

Sight Seeing in Cebu


My friend Megan and I, went to Cebu for Christmas. So of course we had to go to Magellan's Cross.
This is basically what I have learned about the site...which may or may not be correct...

  • Ferdinand Magellan was the first European to come to the Philippines in 1521.
  • Magellan was a was Portuguese navigator working for the King of Spain in search of the spice islands.
  • Magellan planted a cross to signify this important event about the propagation of the Roman Catholic faith in what is now Cebu, in central Philippines. 
  • Some say that the original cross was actually destroyed and what is now standing today is only a replica. (Apparently people w)
  • Magellan was killed by a Visayan chief, Lapu-Lapu, when he went to the nearby island of Mactan. 
Like I said, I don't know for sure I am sharing facts. But it was interesting to go and see it. People took turns going in and getting their pictures taken in front of it with their families. It also helped me understand how deep the Catholic roots run here in the Philippines. I mean, it's been around awhile, ya know.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, they make me smile.